Mrs A Akers Licence LEA (maternity cover)
Mrs C Ambler B.A.
Mrs S Ferraby B.A Hons Head of French (maternity leave)
Miss J Harrop B.A.
Mr P Marett B.A. Assistant Headteacher
Miss J Morris B.A. Head of Italian
Mrs E Silvestri-Fox B.A. Assistant Headteacher
Ms K Smith B.A Hons
Mrs M De La Cour B.A. Head of Spanish, Key Stage 3 French Co-Ordinator
Mrs J Vernaglione B.A. Head of Languages Faculty
Miss C Chanvry
Mrs I Reakes
Mrs S Jones
At Jersey College for Girls we have a ‘languages for all’ policy. We aim to promote language skills for life through enjoyable learning and visits to the target language country where possible.
As a result of the learning experience in this Faculty, we aim for each student to:
• appreciate the importance of language in order to access other cultures and truly belong to a community
• become competent communicators who aspire to being able to speak at least one foreign language with confidence
• develop their listening, reading, speaking and writing skills through the enjoyment of learning foreign languages and deepening knowledge of their own language
• understand the value of and reap the rewards of effortful, independent learning
• understand and celebrate the multiple and transferable benefits of language learning
• develop a positive attitude towards language learning and persevere in the face of challenges
• become lifelong and passionate language learners with a sense of adventure
• feel empowered to interact and thrive abroad
• broaden their horizons and increase their cultural awareness and curiosity
• develop and articulate their own views on global issues
• develop into international citizens who are understanding and tolerant of others
All of our students continue their French studies to GCSE level. In Year 8 all students choose a second foreign language, either Spanish or Italian, which they study until the end of Year 9 with the option to continue to GCSE. We are proud that many of our students decide to study both languages up to GCSE and beyond.
The MFL department has an established and extensive programme of trips and visits on offer as we believe that this is an important part of language learning.
Currently Year 7 students have a day trip to St. Malo during their Activities Week programme. We usually have an Activities trip to France for Key Stage 3. For GCSE and A Level French students there is the wonderful opportunity to participate in our Rouen home stay study visit. For Spanish students we also offer a biennial trip to northern Spain which incorporates language learning and cultural visits. For Italian students there is an exciting biennial trip to Lucca which is a home stay visit with language learning and visits to other areas of Tuscany. A2 students have the option of completing work experience in France, Spain or Italy organised by Halsbury Work Experience in Year 13.
Please take a look at our photo gallery to see our students enjoying their experiences abroad.
Every year our Year 9 students enjoy an off-timetable morning for our Life Changing Languages Event. We are pleased to invite professionals from local businesses and past pupils who are pursuing their language learning at university to JCG to run workshops for our students. We offer our Year 11 students the opportunity to hear visiting speakers talk on the subject of the importance of learning modern foreign languages just before they make their A level choices. This popular event has involved many local dignitaries in the past and the students are always amazed at the range of professions and opportunities available to language speakers.
We are always very pleased to enter many students for the French, Spanish and Italian classes of the Jersey Eisteddfod each year, with many of our students achieving gold and even platinum certificates. This is a wonderful opportunity for students to speak publicly in the target language; preparation for the event is extensive and allows students to focus on pronunciation.
At KS3 students currently follow the Allez course in French.
In years 10 and 11 students will prepare for the AQA GCSE examinations in all languages.
Please refer to the AQA website on the links below for more information:
At AS and A2 French and Spanish students will study for the AQA examinations.
Please refer to the links below for more information: